Monday, November 07, 2005

The Torture Never Stops - But, This Time, For Whom?

So here we are, not more than a week off the Gomery report and we hear of more of the Liberal culture trying to spread itself far and wide through surreptitious means. Had the leading polling indicators not woken me up (had I been a Liberal today), I'd sure as hell be wiping the cruts out of my right eye in time to greet my day with a reckoning fury over this one. My cry to the gods would be "Have they not learned their fucking lesson yet?"

Never mind the headline timeline, for surely the Sponsorship Scandal has had an anniversary or four, yet this sweeping culture of arrogance is driving the Liberal Party deeper and deeper into the hole that they've already dug so deep, they've had to abandon their shovels and scramble for fresh air to the surface with the desperate yelp of "every man for himself!"

Sometimes I hate to admit it, other times I'm proud to say: I used to be a Liberal. I believe that, at least for an occasional glimpse, one should look into all political persuasions to see which agrees with your consistency as a functioning creature in our society. For me, as a young person, Liberalism (or small L) made sense to me. I was idealistic yet pragmatic. Liberal made sense and, not just because my mother was deeply involved in the party. I honestly felt that the moderate approach was always the best approach - that one needed to understand both sides to each issue in order to fully address its causes and remedies. In some ways, I still may well be diagnosed a "small L' liberal and I'm well into my forties, now. But let's be sure of this: It's only my egalitarian nature that drives my bus down the middle of the road. It's my fear of head-on collisions that keeps me pulling the wheel to the right these days.

So with today's story out of the Vancouver Sun, while I wasn't surprised, I was further disappointed and disconcerted with the state of our government. This minority ruling party is grasping at even the shortest straw they can find.

As you read the story of how Liberal insiders wanted to thwart my friends John Baird and Jim Flaherty in their bids to campaign federally, make sure you understand that Elections Canada see no issue under the guidelines with them campaigning while they're still serving in the Ontario legislature. Prior to October, I saw John on a regular basis in my riding - at meetings and events, even grocery shopping. Since then, with Queen's Park in session again, I have seen him once. When these gentlemen campaign, it's on their own time and the party dime - meaning: whatever we can continue to raise with our supporters. It's all above board.

What saddens me is the crap we're put through as a country by the big Liberal spin machine which, in its desperation, is getting mighty sloppy and very embarrassing - even for its opponents. I feel wasted by countless volleys that we must entertain and, worse, I feel sympathy for the moderate, middle-of-the-road Canadian thinker that has, once again, been let down by what he/she thinks was their vision of a Canada they could endorse and be proud of. I can't even be partisan at this moment. It is just too fucking sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home